Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Learner of the Week

In WorldTeach orientation, a program was suggested called "Learner of the
Week" where we choose 1 learner from each class to recognize as, you guessed
it, the learner of the week. When I arrived at Divundu, James had not been
using the program, so I was anxious to introduce a new, exciting motivation
for the learners.



When I started teaching, I told them about Learner of the Week. I would be
watching who did their homework, participated in class, etc. through the
week and that they'd be getting a certificate and a surprise if chosen.
They didn't seem to take much notice. But come Thursday of last week, when
I said that I would be announcing the LoW on Friday, they definitely perked
up. So along came Friday, and class by class I announced my LoWs. I made
goofy powerpoint slide certificates and stuck a few star stickers on them.
I had the learner come up to the front, shake his/her hand, presented the
certificate, and asked for a round of applause. Then I dug into my goody
bag of "surprises". I have a huge assortment of school supplies, plus some
novelty items I brought from home (SF Giants cups and jewelry (thanks
Cindy/Elida!!). I allowed them to choose their surprise. Naturally all the
kids strained to see what made up my goodies (and many chimed in on what the
LoW should choose).and when the LoW sat down much interest was paid to the
certificate. Soo.I think my program is going to go over big!



I'm thinking I'll have a "Learner of the Year" in each class as well. One
other volunteer I talked to took her LoY's out to dinner. Unfortunately,
Divundu doesn't have any sort of eating establishment that I have heard of.
So I'm thinking that I'll have a picture taken with me and each LoY, then
have it printed and framed and give it to the learner. What do you guys
think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea... the picture will be a lifetime memory for the students!

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Followers