Sunday, April 8, 2012

Floating Village & Saying Goodbye

After visiting the overgrown temple, Beng Mealea, we decided to continue on for the afternoon to visit a fishing village, then a floating village. It was extra time in the heat and extra money, but I'm so glad we went to see a bit of life outside the cities.

The heat and humidity is stifling, and it seemed everywhere people were working through it. We seemed to be welcomed as most smiled at us. I got more opportunities to bond with folks as they pointed at my leg, and I simply said: "Moto". "Ahhhhhh" was always the response.
Putting poisonous fish on sticks: all-day-long-every-day. We practiced her smile first.
I took a few pictures with the kids, and always showed them the screen for endless giggling.

Lakehouse!
Authentic Vietnamese Coffee, delivered.
We made our way to a boat, and started down the river toward the floating village - a community of mostly Vietnamese who simply live on the lake. Presumably they came during the war and never went back. The government just overlooks it. I can't imagine what day-to-day life would be like out there. Sheesh, with the heat and the murky water, I don't know how they stand it.  

As always, people are very enterprising and industrious. We saw a boat delivering groceries, and another, a mobile coffee shop of sorts. She paddled over and served up several *delicious* iced Vietnamese coffees. We tried not to fuss over where the ice came from, and just enjoyed our sweet condensed milk and coffee goodness.

After a very long day of touring, James and I headed back for the evening. In the morning we'd be boarding a bus to Phnom Penh and our last night together.

Back in the big city, we checked in to a lovely hotel as a special treat. We took care of some essentials....hair cut on the side of the street for James, mani/pedis for us both, and some last minute shopping. I was definitely starting to get mopey. I wasn't ready to leave! Thought it felt like I'd been there for a while already, it also seemed like I was just settling in.

We had a pleasant dinner and made a quick stop at the famed bar, "Heart of Darkness". Sadly, there was no salaciousness to report.

The morning brought a sweetness from James I had been looking for all along. But alas, it was time to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Followers