Monday, July 13, 2009

Black Cloud

A teacher was out sick about a month ago; he left before I arrived. This
morning we got word that he passed away over the weekend. Apparently he
only went into the hospital a week and a half ago, maybe less. He taught
English to Grades 8-10.



Death is such a way of life here, as odd as that sounds. Teachers and
learners showed the gamut of emotions. Some were openly crying, others
silent tears, and still others stony and cold.



Classes today sort of happened. They were supposed to anyway. I think I
was the only teacher that went to any. I put off my lesson plans for the
day and just went over some old work for those that wanted to listen. The
rest of the time I let the learners do as they pleased. Afternoon study was
cancelled.



There is no word yet as to when or where the funeral will be. However,
tonight there was a service in the dining hall. It was all in Thimbukushu
so I don't know what was said, but the school choir and another choir both
sang numerous times.



Today in the staff room the male teachers were talking about why it seems
the men always die. I pointed out that it's actually married women who are
the group as of late with the alarming infection rate, because husbands go
out and get girlfriends and bring the infection home. They said, yes, this
is true. But then proceeded to tell me there's something about the
chemicals and men that kills them.? I didn't understand. Then I was told
that women like money too much and often kill their husbands. That if I
wanted proof I should go to the banks in Rundu and I'd see many women in
black (mourning), but nonetheless collecting money for the death of their
husband. A young male teacher who is not yet married said he's scared to
get into a marriage as it might kill him.



Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

1 comment:

Brita said...

Hi Jen:

... it may sound so superior to write what I will just now. But this is very much African reality and it has nothing to do with the hollywood glamour images of roaming elephants in the savannas of the continent. Life and death are very close by and I know that my perception of both has changed dramatically ever since I started living on this continent seven years ago. One is closer to the reality of things. Machines that have a fault, cars that have a defective brake -btw: this very weekend my neighbor living uphill crashed into my fence behind the house, luckily he didn't drop the 12 feet high slope into my backyard and into my living room. His car didn't brake ...- human factor, etc. Every day is a surprise. But that is exactly why I love it here so much. There is no routine. One has to deal with life differently. Flexibility and compromise are the name of the game. TIA!

I hope for Africa to finally have a leadership that doesn't deny the harsh reality for the majority but start giving first world education to its kids instead of benefitting from the first world aid personally first in material goods.

Actually, Mugabe prioritized general education in his beginnings. That's why Zim has the highest education standard in the SADC. What followed in his carreer we all know. Sadly enough, the high level of education made it difficult for the educated to fight back. They suffered or left.

Jen, you are very strong. I could tell. Send me an SMS when the going gets too tough, I will call you back asap.

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Followers