Sunday, July 12, 2009

To the Bush!

I decided to "stay home" this weekend. I just couldn't deal with yet
another weekend of horribly dirty feet in Rundu and the 3-4 hour trip BACK
from Rundu which should take 2 hours max (though I must admit I did miss my
weekly Kavango River Lodge fine dining experience). Anyhow, home sweet home
this weekend.



I woke up and made myself a lovely breakfast. I swear my culinary skills
are improving out of plain necessity. I browned potatoes and onions with
salt, pepper, and some unknown spice called Origano? NOT oregano, I checked
at least 3 times. Then scrambled an egg with some tomato. Added some hot
chutney sauce to the lot and wallah, Top Chef here I come. My newly
purchased instant coffee was the highlight though.



Anyhow, I needed fuel for my planned morning adventure into the bush.



To backtrack slightly.

When I first announced I was moving to Namibia, a few people popped up with
friends or friends of friends that had some sort of connection to the
country. One friend of a friend in particular was living in Namibia, and we
fast became facebook friends. Brita is from Germany (very German) and has
more or less moved here with her two kids. She splits her time between
Windhoek and her farm, about 2 hours out of the city. We had meant to meet
up while I was in orientation, but couldn't sort it out. Randomly last week
she texted saying she'd be in Divundu this week and would I like to grab
coffee. Well, there's no place for coffee I told her, but I'll certainly
meet you at the gas station.

Sure enough, she called this week and was in the area! Oh how exciting. I
almost felt like I was back in San Fran again (ok, not really). So I
hustled over to the Engen a full 30 minutes early I was so excited. Brita
and family were awesome. Her two kids are nothing short of charming and we
sat and talked for quite a while. Quite a story they have.



Anyway, Brita anticipated meeting me here and that I was in a very poor
area, so she packed up a lot of clothes that the kids had outgrown. So now
here I was sitting on a huge pile of high quality clothes and shoes.



I first thought I'd distribute around school, but quickly realized that that
would probably hurt feelings left and right. Plus, the kids that come to
school have at least some means, else they wouldn't be in school. In
contrast, I've seen children coming out of the bush in rags, literally, that
will never be able to afford an education. So, I decided I would set off
into the bush and distribute what I could.



I packed up about half the clothes, filled up my water bottle, and set off
on a walking path I'd seen the children come out of. It wasn't long before
I started thinking to myself, um jen, you're about to turn into one of those
"I shouldn't be alive" stories. It was hot, really hot, and the thorny
bushes were everywhere. But I had a vague sense of my direction, plus if I
listened hard enough I could usually make out the highway, so I wasn't all
that concerned. I passed a couple of villages but they had electricity so I
figured they weren't so bad off. I got deeper and deeper and finally found
a suitable homestead. It felt a little funny walking in, crazy white lady
and all. But a plastic lawn chair was quickly pulled out for me and I
opened my bag. I pulled out a woman's light sweater and gave it to the
grandmother type.trying to pay deference to the elder. Then I saw a few
things that would fit the children and pulled those out as well. I must
have an eye for sizes because everything I pulled out and handed to someone
fit them perfectly. We made happy gestures and then I showed my camera and
sort of asked for permission to take a picture. I did and then had my
picture taken with the little ones. They loved seeing the pictures.



I went to two more villages and distributed what was left. Those
clothes/shoes will be worn for years and years till they are nothing more
than tattered rags. Thank you Brita and family for enabling such an amazing
experience.



I still have another bag full to go.next time I'll hit up "that side".

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Followers