Thursday, July 9, 2009

Heartbreaking

Last night I was walking to the staff room to mark about 200 learner books,
when I noticed one of my Grade 10 learners (and one of my favorites),
Erastus. He didn't look so good so I asked him what was wrong. His father
passed away yesterday; he had just found out. I asked if he had been sick
(the polite way of asking if someone has AIDS) - yes. I asked if his mother
was still alive (it's common that one or both parents have passed) - no. So
now my dear Erastus is an orphan, at 17 or so. Oh my god. I nearly started
crying on the spot. I gave him a hug and sat with him a while. There
really aren't any words in those times. A bit later I'd asked if he'd eaten
(of course not), and invited him over to cook him dinner. It was the best I
could think of.



Later on though I found he'd already left for home, so he didn't come by. I
have no idea when or even if he'll come back. This is crushing for him
though, not only emotionally, but timing wise it's terrible (like it's ever
good). This guy has a real shot of getting promoted to grade 11, and if he
misses the next few weeks, sigh, I just don't know.



Thinking of him and his siblings constantly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heartbreaking! Am glad you found fat cakes!! Going to REI tonight after work to help fatten you up!!

BillG said...

Hey JJ, Can we send you money to buy some fat cakes for your class?? -Bill

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Followers