Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Fat Cake a Day Keeps the Skinny Away

The problem of my losing weight has been solved.FAT CAKES! Fat cakes are a
Namibian staple - they are simply balls of fried dough, about the size of a
small fist. A few ladies come to the school every day at break time and
sell them for 50 cents (Namibian). (USD$0.0625) At first I was walking
back to my house and grabbing a piece of bread with peanut butter for a
snack. But then I realized not only was I being anti-social, but I was also
not supporting my local vendor. So to the fat cake woman I went. They're
kinda greasy, but all in all pretty good. I started out buying a couple
things because this particular lady had small cakes. So I'd get a fat cake
and a sweat bread sort of thing. Then a different lady started showing up,
with nice big fatties. So one was plenty.



But a funny thing happened yesterday, the lady said, "I bought for you one,
so take two." Wow, ok, thanks! So I had two. But man, that's just one too
many. So I resolved to only have one from then on. Today though, she said
it again! I politely said no thank you. Later it dawned on me, she WANTS
to fatten me up! See, skinny is a sign of being sick (HIV/AIDS) here. So
this lovely girl simply wants to give me a little plump. I think, however,
that one fat cake a day will work just fine. I'm feeling plumper already.



In other food news, I'm sort of settling into a routine now, and what I feel
like cooking/can cook in my "kitchen". So I'm finally not feeling hungry
all the time anymore. That being said, my mouth is watering for whatever
wonderful things you folks have sent so far. Damn NamPost - HURRY!!

2 comments:

LC said...

"Then a different lady started showing up, with nice big fatties." -- Words I didn't really expect from Jen Jackson.

Ms. Morley said...

I just ran across this blog when searching Google for fat cakes (trying to find a picture for my family). I am a student from Minnesota currently studying in Windhoek, and this little snippet was right on target

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Followers