Monday, July 27, 2009

Feeling Better

So it was a rough weekend, emotionally, as those of you who got my emails
can attest to. I'm told it's pretty common for volunteers right about now
to have some down times. Muddling through it.



I should have a lot to say today, and I guess I kinda do, but I'm also very
tired and have a long night of lesson planning ahead of me. You see exams
are fast approaching, and seeing as how they're covering the whole year, and
copy paper/ink is limited, well, the reviews get written on the chalkboard,
7 times, by yours truly. Damn I'm going to have nice biceps soon.



Some bright points.

Thanks to a late donation to my program fee, I got $50USD that I had to
spend on the school or the learners. So this weekend I purchased 15
scientific calculators that I will let my learners use during exams. I did
2 regular classes and 2 extra classes with them today. The learners were
THRILLED!! And seriously, to see them all punching in the problems
themselves was fantastic. I asked them which other subjects they could use
extra calculators for and was quickly told Physical Science and Geography.
So I'll make sure they'll have them when the test rolls around.



I gave my grade 9's a surprise quiz today, just like the quiz last week but
with different numbers. So far, most of their scores have improved, so
that's something.



Some less bright points.

Sounds like I won't be taking over the grade 10's English afterall. There
is some internal drama with the circuit office that has something to do with
someone higher up wanting to do a favor for someone and appoint them here
(sound familiar?). There's another outside teacher who is qualified too,
but the transfer would be difficult. Either way, there seems to be an
aversion to getting someone in the classroom RIGHT NOW. Hello??!! Sigh.
There's nothing I can do about it really, except offer help to the learners
in English too.



I'm dog tired.Shebeen music was super loud last night and barely slept.



Thanks to all who desperately tried to cheer me up, offer condolences, words
of wisdom, etc. It all did help.



All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Followers