Thursday, July 9, 2009

Happy 4th of July, Namibian Style

So while you all were enjoying your beer, barbeque and fireworks, I was TOO!
Us "hamukuwa" (white people) came from hundreds of miles away to Rundu where
the Peace Corps volunteers hosted a party. Man there are a ton of PC folks!
But it was great to meet everyone, despite being a little weirded out by how
many white people were in town for the weekend. We had yummy yummy food,
meat from the BBQ you could actually eat without breaking a sweat (Namibians
for some reason love to cook the hell out of their meat.think thick-ass beef
jerkey), and even chocolate cake! Towards the end a few fireworks were set
off in the parking lot. About half of them worked (kinda), the other half
not so much. Course the dog only went sniffing around the ones that
eventually worked.



It felt great to be able to talk at normal speed and to sit and gripe about
whatever.And of course to compare notes on accommodation. The PC has a
policy in Namibia that for the first three months the volunteer must stay
with a host family. So many end up in the mud huts. There's a part of me
that's jealous, but I think that sort of thing would get pretty old after a
week or two. Plus I like being able to not be social if I don't want to be.
So I guess you could say I'm happy where I am.



All told, it was a great time. And though everyone is still pretty far
away, I feel a little less alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States

Followers